Skip to main content

Numbers Game


"Recently, I've become aware that there are fewer days ahead than there are behind."

- Jean-Luc Picard


Back in December, I pontificated on what my 42nd birthday meant to me at the time. Turns out those were more immediate thoughts. During the intervening month-and-half since that birthday, a more long-term state of mind has come to the fore. Thoughts of life and of death, time behind and time ahead, have been been swirling in my mind of late. At this point, it is unclear if they are temporary, or if they're here to stay, perhaps needing to be dislodged by some sort of life-decisions?

My father died aged 52. I was 21 at the time, and remember -- during those hazy days between his death and the flurry of visitation and funereal proceedings -- that would give me another 31 years, if I were to make it to his age before life ended. It's one of those things we can't help but do, comparing ourselves to our parents, in all our -- and their -- facets. Or is it just me? At any rate, the man who helped give me life was dead at a certain age, so that became my mental fuel tank of life.

Over the years, the scariness of that age waxed and waned. In some respects, I'd convinced myself that age is just a number. It doesn't really mean anything, at least, not everything. And yet, in my personal life, I'm not good at saving money. 'Why bother?' I often think, 'I probably won't be around to enjoy it later. I'll be 52 and done. No retirement age here.' I often joke that, with that mentality, I'll likely end up old and penniless. For better or worse, I dwell on things, and a possible expiration date is one of them.

We like numbers, or at least numbers we've deemed significant. We'll make a big deal about something every ten years, or twenty, or twenty-five. Decades, quarter-centuries, and all that. If you haven't thought of it by now, 42 is ten from 52. That gave me a gulp this past December, and has ever since. I remember early 2008 very well. To say that it seems like yesterday would be a lie, but the time between now and then certainly feels as though it's gone by quickly. What does that mean for the next ten years?

So, here I am wallowing in a self-imposed death countdown, which begs the (internal) question: What do I do with the time remaining? Should I travel more? See the world (or at least more of the United States)? Keep doing politics, or look for something else to do with my time (back-to-school, more leisure/social activities)? Where do we go from here?

Part of all this is the possibility that this angst is nothing more than a midlife crisis, couched in a fever of parental death distress. Part of it is also seeing friends and loved ones picking-up and moving away to do different things with their lives. For a long time I've both admired and resisted such notions. I've been comfortable, but then that begs the question: Is comfortability always a good thing? How do you tell when it is, or when you should push yourself more, open yourself up to possibilities?

The clock is ticking, for all of us, of course, but I'm selfishly considering myself at the moment. My paternal grandfather, Oscar, died when he was 53. He passed away young enough that I never met him. Dad died at 52. The odds aren't looking good. Last year I started eating better and exercising more, losing over 70 pounds in the process, so that's good, right? Except, I'd done it twice before since I was 18. The pounds eventually came back, causing who knows how many long-term issues?

53, 52, 10, they're all numbers and, in a sense, numbers are meaningless. In another sense, they're terribly important. We use numbers to measure, to build things, to calculate what we earn and, of course, to mark time. Numbers can be significant. 52 is a significant number for me. So, now, is 10. The irony is that I could die today or tomorrow. Nothing is guaranteed. I can say with less less self-assurance , however, that I could die twelve years from now. That future feels far less probable, like it exists in a nebulous obstruction I cannot see beyond.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't