Skip to main content

Alpha, not the Omega


Assertiveness isn't always easy for yours truly. At times, people have mistakenly assumed I've agreed with them about something, mostly because I was too willing not to push back and rock the boat with them. A polite nodding of the head, slight wincing of the face, and averted gaze is, apparently, enough for some to conclude agreement. This tends to occur when I'm up against someone with an aggressive personality. Call it conflict avoidance, if you must.

Recently, I talked back to a guy who is always very pushy with his views, very dominant (even if he's not aware of it), and whom I almost always do my usual polite wince and nodding of the head routine. He'd previously pissed me off with something he'd written to me online, and I'd let it slide, but then he did it again, and so I asserted myself and let him know that it wasn't on. In fact, I copped an attitude and used words that actually made me feel uncomfortable, but got the point across. The guy backed-off, apologized, and even acknowledged that I was right.

Dear reader, I can't adequately elucidate the number of times this has happened. It goes as far back as grade school, and is probably what led to being a prime target for bullying. A kid who doesn't want to make a scene or rock the boat isn't likely to fight back. Other kids, with dominant personalities, pick up on this, and start the daily verbal and physical assaults. That was pretty much most of elementary school for me. Finally, after a stern "You've gotta fight back" lecture from my dad, I did fight back and, you know what? It worked. At least for a time. There are always more bullies.

I don't pretend to be somehow unique with this situation. No doubt many others have dealt with people who just have to establish their command or authority over some, or attempt to instill fear into others. I don't have the time or inclination to play armchair psychologist and wonder why that is. What I do know is that it's tiring. The same types of people, seemingly cut from the same cloth, who, eventually, you have to stand up to in order for them to either a) respect you, or b) leave you alone. It is, frankly, an infuriating pattern. And it occurs with startling rapidity.

Why is it so frequently necessary to have to "stand up" to someone in order for them to respect you? Heck, I don't even want or need their respect, just for them to be a decent human being and not be so aggressive or dominant. That respect element is perhaps the most worrisome aspect of the whole situation. The fact that someone will be a jerk, until you have to be rude about it and tell them not to be a jerk, and will then start to admire you because you've got "guts," or a "backbone," or "show strength" seems really unsettling to me.

What ever happened to just being nice to people?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...