Skip to main content

What Does It Mean to Be Black?



"Is you mixed?"

"You know you're black, right?"

Those are just a few of the things I heard growing up, from my black peers, as a biracial kid who thought of himself more as Matt, rather than about his racial identity. If anything, the more pressing minority status at the time was being homosexual, as it seemed to create more issues with people than anything else. Regardless, I've always struggled with what it means to be black and, as time has gone on, it has oddly not become any easier to navigate.

One thing to understand first is that, aside from the obvious biological aspect, there is a personal component to my desire of having the biracial definition applied. My father was black. My mother is white. With them come the requisite lineage. Whenever someone refers to me as being either "black" or (a lot less common) "white," it engenders a mental and, sometimes, physical pain. I think of the parent that such a label erases, of the aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins whom it ignores. That, I cannot abide.

What of the African-Americans who, upon hearing my aforementioned reasoning, become frustrated and say, "You know that, in this world, in this country, you're considered black? Don't no one care that your momma is white!" That's a fair point. I am fully cognizant of the fact that, in certain places, someone will look at me and see only a black person. It crosses my mind every time I'm in a rural area, or if I'm in a situation where I'm the only person of color. But I don't live my life for them. And I certainly do not allow such people to define who I am.

Perhaps, most importantly, the question shouldn't be whether society considers someone like myself -- or Barack Obama -- black or biracial or whatever, but what does it mean to be black in America? Why does it matter (not saying it doesn't, but why does it), and how is it defined? Do we go simply by pigmentation? Parentage? The unavoidably racist One-drop rule? The type of music one listens to? The clothing a person wears? The way someone speaks? Their home decor? An overall awareness? All of the above? None of it?

Earlier I mentioned that this is a reality that has not gotten any easier to navigate as time has gone by. This is telling in that it reflects how my attitude hasn't changed, and neither has society's. Whenever the local paper mentions my racial ethnicity, they always refer to me as "black." That is society. I consider myself to be proudly black & white. That is who I am. It would appear likely that, at least within my lifetime, never the twain shall meet. So it goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't