Skip to main content

The Year in Music


There are times in your life when you will read or watch something, stop for a moment, and think to yourself: "This is truth. This is gospel, right here." For some, it may have been the first time you read the Bible, the Tanakh, or the Koran. For others, it could have been when you read self-help books such as The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, or Chicken Soup for the Soul. Still, for others, it's going to be this blog post right here.

The truth is, dear reader, that 1993 was the best year for music. Full-stop. Some of you already know this. For others, it will be a revelation. Please, allow me to explain. Following are some of the albums released in 1993, with a bit of commentary from yours truly. During or after reading this, I think you'll agree that there's really no question anymore that 1993 was king.

Ok, here we go.

-------------------

Bee Gees / Size Isn't Everything

A lot of folks think of 1970's disco when they think of the Bee Gees. I tend to think more of this wonderful album, and the two that followed it in 1997 and 2001. This definitely ranks in my Top 3 favorite albums - ever. The lead single, Paying the Price of Love, is a strong, if kinda campy classic. 


Bjork / Debut

Released in July of 1993, this solid album by the queen of quirkiness features such notable tracks as Human Behaviour, Venus as a Boy and Big Time Sensuality.


Blur / Modern Life is Rubbish

Another step toward their zenith (which I consider to be the 1994 and 1995 albums Parklife and The Great Escape, respectively), Modern Life is Rubbish is nevertheless a solid release.


The Breeders / Last Splash

One word: Cannonball


Mariah Carey / Music Box

Released in August of 1993, this album spawned several hits, including Dreamlover, Hero, Anytime You Need a Friend, and Without You.


Counting Crows / August and Everything After

Though it pains me to include it, there's no denying that this was a big, successful album of the '90s, featuring hit songs Mr. Jones and Round Here.


The Cranberries / Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

Dreams and Linger, yo. Dreams and Linger.


Sheryl Crow / Tuesday Night Music Club

It wouldn't be a list of '90s music without an appearance by Sheryl Crow. Her brand of folksy rock music was big then, and this album featured the hits All I Wanna Do, Strong Enough and Leaving Las Vegas.


PJ Harvey / Rid of Me

More of a full-album experience, it's hard to deny this October 1993 release, with its iconic cover photo of the whipped hair, was a standout of the 1990s.


Janet Jackson / janet.

Do you have time to look at all the hit singles that were from this album?  We've got That's the Way Love Goes, Again, You Want This, If, Throb, Anytime Anyplace, Where Are You Now? and Because of Love. I mean, damn.


Sarah McLachlan / Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

All right, this is tricky. Technically, this album debuted in Canada in 1993, although it didn't have a proper U.S. release until early 1994. I'm going with the Canadian date, because this is the one that put Sarah on the map. It deserves to be listed here for Possession, alone.


New Order / Republic

Released in May of 1993, Republic stands as my favorite New Order album, along with having my favorite New Order song (Times Change). It's known for its hit single Regret, and the songs Spooky, World and Ruined In a Day. Great stuff.


Nirvana / In Utero

Their last (and perhaps greatest?) album, In Utero was a strong, searing release for the band to go out on. All Apologies and Heart-Shaped Box are prime Nirvana.


Pet Shop Boys / Very

My favorite album of all-time has to get a mention here. Filled with poppy, bouncy songs about love, longing, sadness and exuberance, this marks one of those turning points in my appreciation of music. It also features my favorite song by the Pet Shop Boys, A Different Point of View. This album never gets old.


Liz Phair / Exile in Guyville

I hear the chicks dug this, Ms. Phair's debut album. Can't deny it was big news back in the day.


Radiohead / Pablo Honey

Creep, anyone?


Salt-n-Pepa / Very Necessary

Female R&B groups have enjoyed a nice reception for decades, and in the 1980s and 1990s, Salt-n-Pepa was one of them. This seminal album features the classics Shoop, Whatta Man and None of Your Business.


Tupac Shakur / Strictly 4 My Niggaz

Released in February 1993, this was a big album for the late rapper, and included one of my favorites of his, Keep Ya Head Up.


Snoop Dogg / Doggystyle

I've never been hugely into rap music, but sometimes a rap album comes along that I simply can't resist. Such was Snoop's 1993 solo debut. I mean, you've got What's My Name? and Gin and Juice. Who can resist those ditties?


U2 / Zooropa

I know that a lot of folks think that Zooropa was kind of the beginning of the end for U2, but it's actually what got me to sit up and take notice of them. It's good stuff.


Wu-Tang Clan / Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wu-Tang!

-----------------------------

So, I mean, the case is made. Surely you see the light now? 1993 was the best year for music. 'nuff said.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...