Skip to main content

Young & Old



Filmmaker Errol Morris has written a relatively sparse column for The New York Times, in which he basically wants folks to chime-in as to whether or not they're an optimist or a pessimist about humanity surviving a massive asteroid impacting the Earth. I went ahead and answered the two-part questionnaire at the end of the article, even though the subject matter didn't really move me one way or the other. What did interest me, however, is the question of whether one is an optimist or a pessimist. Specifically, I am interested in whether one becomes more pessimistic about the future when they grow older.

Allow me to explain.

It would seem that many of the older people I've encountered, at various stages of my life, haven't had a very rosy outlook for the future of mankind. "Going to hell in a handbasket" is a phrase oft-used by  crotchety elders. They seem to lack much enthusiasm or positivity for what lies ahead. Of course, I realize that this is anecdotal, lest someone decide to comment that their 80-year-old Uncle Jack is the most uplifting person they know. It's a generalization, to be sure, but one based one experience. And, yes, there are negative younger people, but they seem fewer in number.

Is it that older people have less time on this Earth, so they put less thought into how things could be better and, when faced with the ever-present challenges of humanity, it's simply easier for them, as short-timers, to go straight to a "we're fucked" mentality? Excuse the french. But, really, are the young more optimistic than the old? I know I am (shocking as that may sound, because I tend to often be a verbal pessimist). It's just that, knock on wood, I hope to have another three-to-four decades here, and so it's kind of important that things don't go to hell. I like this life. I want it to be good. For me. For us. And for a long time to come. I can't just throw up my hands and say, "Oh well."

What say you, reader? Is my thesis completely in error? Is there no real disparate thought between old and young when it comes to a future outlook? Or is there some truth to the notion? What do you think? Perhpaps, if I'm fortunate enough to live to be an old man, I'll change my tune and look at the young people around me with a 'good luck, suckers' mentality. But I hope not. We're all in this together, and together -- with any luck -- it can only get better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't