Skip to main content

Unfunny



Humor is an interesting concept. It would seem to exist only within the realm of human consciousness (ever seen a dog, or a cat, or a canary laugh?), and yet it is extremely diversified among people. Humor often derives itself from pain, from a shared point of reference, from common culture, identity, etc. A lot of people can agree on what is funny, but then many are splintered by what doesn't make them laugh. That's what I'm here to talk about today: what leaves me cold, and why.

A couple of years ago, some friends invited me to go with them to see comedienne Lisa Lampanelli. I politely declined. You see, dear reader, Ms. Lampanelli is one of those whom I find unfunny. Her schtick (if one dare call it that) is to hurl insults. At everyone. She has been dubbed the "Queen of Mean." Sorry, but that just isn't my cup of tea.

Robin Williams is another one that I don't 'get.' When he's playing a serious role in a film (Awakenings, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, to name a few), he's excellent, and often underrated. But his comedy? It makes me want to gauge my eyes out.  I don't go in for the manic, spastic, shouty person running around like a chicken with their head cut off routine.

What of Jay Leno? Seriously... what of him? How someone so bland that they're in danger of blending into the scenery of their talk show set has remained the king of late night TV for two decades is beyond me. Maybe folks just like a big, chuckling chin that comes across affable and tells lame, relatively safe jokes. I dunno. Regardless, Mr. Leno's brand of humor has never appealed to me.

Of course, some of the stuff I find to be hilarious falls flat with others. Take the classic British sitcom Fawlty Towers as an example. Wonderfully structured slapstick humor, peppered with tons of witty dialogue. It remains fresh to this day, some thirty years on. Yet, I remember gleefully showing on episode to a friend once, whose face remained scrunched in dislike the entire time, until he finally let loose a tirade against the program of "people constantly shouting at each another."

To each their own, I suppose.


Comments

  1. To paraphrase Edmund Gwenn:

    Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.

    I think you hit the nail on the head with, "To each their own." Humor is so completely subjective. The 'you had to be there' moments are a good example. Even an accurate retelling of the moment isn't nearly as humorous as the initial event.

    Humor quite often fails in translation. It doesn't cross language or cultural barriers very easily. That may be one of the problems with people like Lisa Lampanelli. In my cultural circles, that sort of thing really isn't "funny." The same goes for Andrew Dice Clay. Being a misogynist asshole doesn't register big belly laughs with me for some reason.

    I've never found Jay Leno more than slightly amusing at times. I'd much rather listen to him talk about his antique cars. At least then it seems he has some passion.

    I love 'Fawlty Towers', as well as most of the Python members' work. A lot of people, though, particularly in the US, don't find British humor very humorous.

    Robin Williams is one that I've always enjoyed, though I admit to not really seeing any of his stage comedy for more than twenty-five years.

    One of the areas of humor that I especially enjoy: cancer jokes. They seem to take some people completely off guard for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't