Skip to main content

Books in a Cold Climate


I love to read. Mostly fiction. Sometimes an autobiography, or biography, but that's rare. Even rarer is non-fiction. Now, this isn't to say that I'm constantly reading. It comes in spurts. I'll go for a stretch without a book in-hand each night (or weekend), but then there will be long stretches where I'll devour a tome, then quickly begin another one. Ashley is much the same way, but is much more well-read than I. Our bookshelves, nooks and crannies are littered with books, both read and unread. And it was while perusing these collections that I realized something.

I don't remember half the books I've read.

No, dear reader, this isn't some revelation of early Alzheimer's (at least, hopefully it's not). I can remember the fact that, yes, I did indeed purchase and read books X, Y and Z. But ask me who the murderer was in Ruth Rendell's Shake Hands Forever, or what most of the plot points were in Bob Cook's Paper Chase, and you'll be met with a blank stare from yours truly. For some books, that's not the case. I can distinctly recall many of the details (and much of the emotional impact) from P.D. James' Innocent Blood, Peter Carey's His Illegal Self, and David Benioff's City of Thieves, among others. With most previously read tomes, however, I could crack them open and have an almost brand new reading experience.

This is an issue which has resonated with me of late, as I have contemplated my under-used e-reader. It's a nice gadget, and I've read a few books on it, but something about it has prevented me from fulling realizing its potential. In theory, thousands of stories could be stored in its archives. But then I grew up in a different era, when 'thousands of stories' meant a physical place to put them all. This brave new technological world is one in which I stand reluctantly upon the threshold.

For awhile now, I've wanted to cling to the physical, bound book, to keep it after reading, to know that it is there again to possibly be re-read, to be able to look at my own little library and recall past reading adventures. But one has to wonder: If I'm hard-pressed to remember some of the books I've read, and to occasionally be surprised that I even own a particular book, then is this keeping of the old way really worth anything? Are books lining a shelf really worth much, other than to be good dust collectors? Should I dive-in all the way to the world of e-reading?

It's not like I go back and read books again, anyway. Most of the time, they serve their purpose as a distraction, a way to pass the time, perhaps to learn something, gain a different perspective, or to be moved. But they're rarely re-read. I feel as though life's time is limited enough as it is, that if I am to devote some hours to reading, it should be with something brand new. Keep looking forward, as it were. Just hope I remember more of what's read in the future. Or is that not finally the point?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...