Skip to main content

Photography for the People




This is a post about my photography, but first, allow me to talk a moment about creativity and individualism, at least as they apply to me. Your indulgence is appreciated.

Since I was roughly eight-years-old, the urge took me that I wanted to do what other creative types had done. If I read a good story, it would inspire me to write one of my own. If I enjoyed a smashing comic book, I'd go and make my own comic book adventures. A trip to an art gallery, or a perusal of a book about art, would jump-start the desire to draw my own pictures (and frame them). And, when I'd view a well-taken photograph, I'd want to take my own photos.

The aforementioned cause & effect could, I suppose, be labeled as creativity of a sort. Plenty of people read books, comics, look at art and enjoy photographs, but most are content to simply consume such things, and do not have the desire (as did I) to do engage in those activities. Is this, then, a form of individualism? I think it might be. It's not enough for me to say, "That's nice," and go on about my day. I often think to myself, "That's nice, and I want to do my own version of it." Call it inspiration, creativity, or individualism, but I've been doing it now for nearly three decades. It brings me pleasure.

Now, about the photography, in particular. There's an app on the iPhone called Instagram. It allows one to post photos to it, and use the built-in filters to improve the look of the photographs. I've been using it for several months now, and have grown to quite enjoy it. I don't pretend to be a professional photographer, and it's unlikely that anyone would mistake me for one. But it's fun. And I try to do the best I can, by using different types of filter apps, using different subjects (nature, structures and people), and generally attempting to produce some quality stuff.

Working with Instagram has helped me be more creative, and introduced me to a wonderful community of people from all over the world, who share their photographs on the iPhone app. Some of the photos are obviously professional-grade, but most are not. And that's fine. Photographs are meant to capture something -- whether that be an artistic vision, the stunningly simple beauty of nature, a posed model, or a fun moment between friends. Crap photographs exist, yes, but I think that a fairly all-encompassing view of what constitutes good photography shouldn't necessarily be limited to the perfect and professional.

Sometimes, good photography can be for the average joe (or jane), who just want to be individually creative. For that purpose, something like Instagram works well. I don't pretend to take amazing pictures. I know my limits. There are other things that impress me, and that I'd love to have the talent to do. Great architecture and design is, alas, far beyond my scope. But darn it if I can write a half-way decent story, sketch a drawing, and take a cool photograph. At least, I try to.

Comments

  1. How appropriate that you write this post as I set up an online gallery for my wife, and replace my own existing gallery with an updated version.

    I take photos to please myself, no one else. Most of the photos that I take are for function, rather than form: for use in making 3D building models.

    I do enjoy being creative with my camera, and if anyone else enjoys the results; that's great! If not; I certainly won't feel bad, nor have I lost anything.

    I enjoy your photographs, too. It's nice to see the world from other peoples' perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan. :-)

    Do you have a way for us to access your gallery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting things set up at http://gallery.dexterityunlimited.com/ right now. I decided I'd start it over from scratch. Lots of photos to upload, and I'm sure the layout will change a bit as I go along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...